Sunday, September 14, 2008

From house to house breaking bread...

I reconnected with another old friend this week. Someone I haven't seen in 15 years or so. We went to lunch together today and had a good time catching up on old times, filling each other in on what's happened in our lives, and discussing a bit of theology along the way.

Nothing extra special took place... just friends chatting over food. Yet, it was incredibly refreshing-- physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Maybe that's why the scriptures so frequently show Jesus sharing a meal with others. Not only with his disciples but also with sinners, with prostitutes, tax collectors, etc. In fact, the "religious folks" often criticized him for that very reason.

In Acts, it is said that those in the early church "went from house to house breaking bread" and rehearsing the things the Lord had done... and new converts were added to the church daily.

Today, I think sometimes we lose sight of just how powerful sharing a meal can be. It is a time of sharing... not just of food but of oneself. And in that sharing, relationship is built. And through relationships, the simplicity of the gospel is lived out.

Maybe it's time that we had the same kind of reputation as Jesus... a reputation for going out to eat with "unsavory types". Maybe we would see the kind of results the early church saw if we did so...

1 comments:

Wanda Z. said...

Father Rick: Your post touched me so much and it is one of the most beautiful things I have read regarding this subject. It reminds me of the way you touched my life too. When my today husband and I wanted to get married we wanted to be married in the Catholic Church. Although we were both born and raised Catholic, I had a previous (non Catholic) marriage and for that reason the traditional Catholic Church would not marry us without an annulment that would have taken many years. I was treated by many traditional Catholic churches like a sinner because I was divorced. Although I have always had God in my heart, I was so distant from the Church for many reasons. Then I found YOU, and the Old Catholic Church with a totally different frame of mind. You made our dream of getting married in the Catholic faith, come true. Church and Religion should unite people, not the other way around. Sometimes the people who brag about being the most "Christians" are those who are so close minded, so judgmental and forget that Jesus loved everybody in an unconditional way. Thanks once more for all you did for us and for restoring my faith.
Sincerely
Wanda Zook

Daily Bible Verse - Let Scripture Speak

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you can find a bit of encouragement here, as together we continue our journey of faith.

Label Cloud


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster