Monday, September 1, 2008

A new blog-- "Ascending"

Well... here we go...

At the request of several internet friends, I'm finally starting a blog. I know, I know... everybody and their mama already has a blog, so I'm really behind the times a bit here.. but it's something I never thought I'd do.

I'll give more info about myself as we go along... but the short introduction is that I am an Old Catholic (as opposed to Roman Catholic-- more about that later) priest living in Tennessee. I also serve as a college administrator at a state college.

I'm a bit of an artist... a "wish I were a" musician/singer... a writer (one book published already)... in other words I just like to be creative in a lot of formats.

Of all the things I am, though, the main thing I am is a searcher. I am searching to know God.

You may ask, "What do you mean, you're searching to know God? I mean you're a priest..." Well, what I mean is this: He is so much bigger, so much greater, so much "more"... and even though I know Him a little-- I'm constantly learning just how much I don't know Him.

I decided to name the blog "Psalms of Ascent" because that's what's been on my mind a lot lately. In fact, I just finished a set of 3 paintings entitled the same thing. (They're really abstract, so I know they won't be everyone's taste).

What are the "Psalms of Ascent"? In scripture Psalms 120-134 are known as the Psalms of Ascent. They were psalms that were sung as the Israelites "ascended" to Jerusalem each year to celebrate the Feasts of Israel. As they approached the Temple... as the approached the presence of God... they prepared themselves to meet Him.

And I guess that's kind of what's happening here in a way.

I don't claim to have all the answers. In fact, after years of study, years of prayer, if anything I probably have more questions.

But this I do know... He is calling us-- all of us-- to "go up" to meet with Him. To know Him...

And so the search continues...

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Father Rick,

Thanks for setting up the blog, it looks nice. I love the abstract paintings!God Bless!

-D

Daily Bible Verse - Let Scripture Speak

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you can find a bit of encouragement here, as together we continue our journey of faith.

Label Cloud


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster